Cyanotype Reflection

Cyanotypes- 9/13


Before




After




From this process, I learned what a cyanotype is and how to create one myself. A cyanotype is an image made by combining ferric ammonium citrate and potassium ferricyanide and applying them to paper in a dark room. Once the paper is dry, objects or a negative can be placed onto the paper, and they are often held in place with a sheet of glass. Once exposed to UV light for about ten minutes, the items or negative can be removed, and the paper can be rinsed with water and dried to reveal a deep blue coloring and a white print. The cyanotype's hue can then be reduced, intensified, or toned to the artist's liking.

I chose to use Japanese maple leaves because this is my favorite type of tree, and I have one in my yard. The leaves also have a detailed shape that is characteristic of the typical leaves associated with autumn. I used feathers because I had these in my yard as well since I have three pet chickens. Additionally, I knew that the light would filter through their strands nicely. I wanted my cyanotype to look intricate and remind the viewer of something he or she would see floating down from the sky during fall.

The objects appeared on the cyanotype as I envisioned. I knew that the leaves would not let any light through, so they would show up completely white, and that the feathers would make a much less opaque outline than the leaves because they are not as solid. What I did not realize was just how deep blue it would come out. I was really worried while it was laying in the sun that it would end up looking faded or streaky, but this certainly did not happen.

If I did this project again, I would rearrange the leaves so they are scattered between the feathers in a disorganized way, as this would contribute more to the overall theme of airiness that I was trying to achieve.

Comments

Popular Posts